How to Maximise Productivity While Working from Home
With the world reeling under the Covid-19 scare, work from home has become an unexpected reality for many office goers. Working from home definitely saves a lot of commuting time, but it also comes with its own set of challenges, especially if you don’t have the right furniture. We spoke with several people who regularly work from home and came up with the following tips to help you enhance your productivity:
- Set up a formal office area in a quiet place at home.
- Fix your work timings and avoid taking unnecessary breaks.
- Finish household chores before you start your work day.
- Get ready and dress up, wear shoes, as if you are going to the office.
- Do not work on a sofa or bed. Choose a table instead.
- If the dining table is your workplace, clear it up completely after breakfast.
- If no suitable table is available, try working on the floor rather than the sofa or bed.
- Ensure your work space has adequate lighting.
- Avoid frequent snacking, and eat lunch at a regular lunch time.
- If two persons are working from home, set up two separate work areas.
- Find a quiet spot for making work phone calls. Avoid personal phone calls during work hours.
- If your children are also ‘learning from home’, set up their programme for the day in advance.
- Extended hours of work on the laptop computer can take a toll on your health and wellbeing, so it is important to use a proper ergonomic arrangement.
- Keep your laptop at a proper height and use an external keyboard to get into a proper work posture. You can use a pack of books about 15 cm high or use Opus AriseGo to raise the laptop display.
- Dining chairs will be too low when you raise the laptop display and you may need to use some hard cushions to achieve a correct sitting height. Opus Aktiv chair helps get you to the correct height and posture, eliminating back and neck pain. Unlike typical office chairs, it takes up very little space.
- Finish the day’s work, clear the ‘office’ space and then revert to house mode.
If you follow these tips, you should feel motivated and active even at the end of your work day!